If you have looked at the recipes on my site, you probably can tell that I really love Mexican food. Before I had my son, every single Friday night was date night at our favorite Mexican restaurant. Chips, salad and a big fat margarita – with dinner of course! That was how I chose to spend my weekly cheat meal. I have found, the more I give into my weekly cheat meals, the harder time I have getting back on track and staying there. Finding healthy meals that I can eat on my meal plan that satisfy those cravings have been my key to staying on track.
If you follow me on my Facebook page, Putting My Best Foot Forward, then you will know, I like to keep things simple. When cooking for two, it is easy to waste a ton of food with left overs. One of our favorite meals is turkey tacos. Instead of having tacos all week, I have found some simple ways to turn that turkey meat into other meals like nachos, tostadas and now, a taco salad!
- 99% fat free ground turkey
- Your favorite taco seasoning (I use 1 packet of Kroger's Taco Seasoning)
- Corn Tortillas
- Shredded lettuce
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Garlic salt
- Cooking spray
- In a frying pan over medium high heat, cook turkey until no longer pink. Add in taco seasoning packet and 1/4 cup of water. If you have leftover turkey meat from tacos, that will work just fine too! Once cooked, set aside.
- In the meantime, slice up corn tortillas into thin strips. If you are following the 21 Day Fix, two corn tortillas count as one serving. Lightly coat with cooking spray. I use Pam Coconut Oil spray.
- In a separate frying pan over medium high heat, cook corn tortilla strips and toss every 45 seconds or so. Cook until golden brown and crisp, then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine avocado and a tsp of garlic salt. Mash together.
- To prepare the salad in a bowl, add lettuce, tomatoes, ground turkey and top with avocado and the crisp corn tortilla strips.
If you are following the 21 Day Fix meal plan:
- 1.5 green of lettuce
- .5 green of chopped tomatoes
- 1 red of ground turkey
- 1 blue of mashed avocado
- 2 corn tortillas for 1 yellow
Total container count for this salad is 2 green, 1 red, 1 blue and 1 yellow!