Up until recently, I had never actually made a taco with a soft tortilla. Growing up, we loved the crunchy taco shells - I mean, who doesn't! Since I am allergic to gluten, I always put my turkey tacos on a soft corn tortilla, never flour. They always fall apart and I end up needing to eat them with a fork. Not a huge deal, but definitely frustrating!
So, I decided to try making a crispy shell - without frying!
- Corn tortillas - amount is up to you!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place your corn tortillas between two damp paper towels and place them in the microwave for 40 seconds (or until very soft). I did 40 seconds for four tortillas, you may need to adjust the time based on how many tortillas you are cooking.
- Remove from microwave and place each tortilla in the oven, folded in half over one of the wires on the oven shelf.
- Cook tortillas for 6-8 minutes, or until desired crispiness. (NOTE: if these tortillas are too crisp, they will break when you try to fill them. I cooked mine 6 minutes, to the point they were crispy but I could bend the center enough to put my taco ingredients in them).
These were a hit in our house! I don't know if I will ever have a soft tortilla again!
If you are following the 21 Day Fix or Insanity Max: 30, two tortillas would count as one yellow.